Friday, August 22, 2008

Sarcasm

I was brought to a sudden desire to see and understand the true meaning of sarcasm through a recent conversation I had with a very intellectual and scholarly individual. The question that came to my mind was, Is Sarcasm wrong or is it just a sense of expression that is only for those who are not faint at heart and are wrapped with a thick epidermis? As I have pondered this question in my mind I began to realize that many of us find sarcasm as a means of being mentally sharp. But is Sarcasm really a sign of mental sharpness and quick wittedness or just another form of degradation? What purpose does sarcasm really serve? Do we edify one another with a spirit of meekness by displaying just how fast we are able to spit words out to counter the words spoken by another individual?

Sarcasm is very enjoyable to the person who is being sarcastic. And yet to the person who is the receiver it can be unpleasant. I confess that I have had my share of sarcastic moments in which my flesh was very well pleased at how I was able to make some nitwit look silly. But have you ever stopped and thought about what you said after you said it? As the words that leave your lips bounce off the expression of your victims face and back into your ears and straight to your brain, your heart falls into your stomach. You find yourself getting uncomfortable as you realize that your words were sharp and cunningly hurtful. And yet because of the pride within your heart you try feverishly to laugh it away and comfort the now ashamed person by telling them that it was just a joke. But you know yourself that they were greatly embarrassed. And now they display a wounded and helpless persona while those that stand around laugh with pleasure and delight as they sing your praise.

In all of this action the question is the same, did you help someone or did you in fact do the opposite and tear them down? I contend that sarcasm is often an attempt to lift ones self up by pushing others down. It’s like the bully at the playground who isn’t able to climb the monkey bars so he doesn’t allow others to get on them. Many times we don’t intend on hurting others and yet in our own attempts to not be seen as intellectually challenged we make others feel small by being sarcastic.

James understood the power of our words.

James 3:5-6; “ Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity; so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell. “

And yet how often do we forget what an effect our choice of words can have on others around us? To those who have made it a habit of being sarcastic it becomes a natural part of their being. And yet sarcasm can be a sign of a lack of discipline one has over their tongue. Sarcasm is not just a fun way of expressing ones view point, but it can become cynicism very quickly and unnoticed. As one writer put it “It is a line that is smudged and blurry so that one can not know the exact moment when they have stepped from one side into the other.”

What is interesting to me is where we get the word “Sarcasm.” The word Sarcasm comes from the Latin word; Sarcasmus, and the Greek word; Sarkasmós and is a derivative of the verb Sarkázein. The word Sarkázein in its original sense meant “to tear flesh like dogs.” Sarkazein is in turn derived from sarx, “flesh.” A form of this Greek word is found as sarco, in the English word sarcophagus, which literally means “flesh-eating” in Greek.

This then gives evidence that Sarcasm in its true context and original formation is an action of destruction. If we stop and think about sarcasm isn’t that exactly what we do? Sarcasm is something that we use to make a mockery of our target and this is why we make mention that only those with tough skin are able to handle Sarcasm. But what is the purpose of Sarcasm then if it’s true purpose is to make one feel broken and beaten?

Another interesting fact is that the word Sarcasm is synonymous with the word “Derision” which means; to make a mockery or ridicule. The word “derision” is used 15 times throughout the scriptures and expresses the judgment of the Lord. This gives a new meaning to Sarcasm. The power we have in our mouth must be recognized and the use of our words must be weighed within our mind before we speak. This will allow us as the children of God to be able to be more effective.

Is Sarcasm a sin then? Is it our place to rend our brothers and sisters with words and to declare judgment upon them as if we are God? What is the fine line between Sarcasm and Irony? All I can say is that after really looking and beholding these facts I have a new outlook on the use of Sarcasm. I pray that God will give me the ability to be effective both in word and in deed. However, I understand that we all are flesh and no one is perfect, but the goal is to not be hurtful to others. You be the judge and governor of your own words and always stop and ask yourself. Why am I saying this and what purpose does it serve?

Disclaimer: This is just my thought on the subject. I don’t have this all figured out myself. “He’s still working on me.” Enjoy and please comment.

10 comments:

Beau D said...

VERY VERY convicting post..it has got me thinking!!

Kimberly said...

Beau!My Friend!I'm curious...what is your take on plagiarism?....lol!

Anonymous said...

I think this post sounds VERY familiar... But for fear of sounding sarcastic I won't say more

Beau D said...

Kim-I'm not sure what is worse...sarcasm or plagiarism?!!lol

Kimberly said...

We are just kidding Tim! Great article: well written and well thought out and...wait...I'm having trouble reading your writing here...lol!
No, really- Thought provoking and excellent.

Andrew Dillon said...

Kim... was that sarcasm?

marisa luke said...

Hey Tim- it's been a LONG time!! Great post by the way! :)

alanpostel said...

I'm reminded of one man's words: "Cynicism - the intellectual cripple's substitute for intelligence" Great post!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting and thought provoking. I would enjoy finding out more about Irony and the difference between the two. When do you cross the line from Irony to Sarcasm?

Anonymous said...

Very good post! Keep 'em coming please....I enjoy them!