Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Turning Hope into Faith

Well... it has definitely been a long time since Ive graced this blog with my presence. I suppose to say that Ive been busy would be true but much to great of a common excuse. So instead, I will say that I have been preoccupied with other "things."

Ive been thinking a lot on the subject of Faith lately and the importance of having active Faith in our lives as Christians. It is very important to understand that our entire walk with God and confidence in the work on Calvary is rooted in this thing we call Faith. But what is Faith? Is Faith simply the mental state of thinking in abstract terms? Is it the ability to travel into the unknown through concentration? Or is Faith much simpler than that?

We all realize the importance of Faith through the scriptures.

Heb 11:6 But without Faith it is impossible to please him...

Faith is what empowers us to believe in things that we are not able to see, smell, touch, hear or taste. However, the only way to receive the Faith to believe in the impossible is through the hearing of Gods word.

Rom 10:17 So then, Faith cometh by hearing and hearing, by the word of God.

It is the word of God that gives us the confidence that "all things are possible." There are a lot of things we Hope for. We hope to have a healthy life. We hope to have a safe drive to work. We hope to graduate. These are the carnal desires of man. They aren't wrong but they are things that we truly desire but because of uncertainty we hope for these things. The problem is that we bring that same mentality into the church.

Because we do not feel as though we have the power to accomplish certain tasks we make statements such as. I hope they get healed. I hope they get saved. I hope they make it. I hope.... etc.

Heb 12:1 Now Faith is the substance of things Hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Faith is what turns our hope into the finished product. Hope is the blueprint, but Faith is the lumber. Hope is the porch, but Faith is the door that lets us in. We need to claim the promises of God through Faith. How do you get Faith? By hearing the WORD of God. God said:

Mark 16:18 ...Lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power.
John 5:20 ...greater than these works shall he do.

If you want God to start doing some amazing things in your life. You must move from 'I hope' to 'I believe'. The word of God IS our Faith and substance.

To be continued...

3 comments:

John Calvin: Calvinism My Way said...

Good stuff. God bless you bro in your labors for the Kingdom of God.

Ruth Alvarez said...

Wow Bro. Rivers that was amazing! I love the way you speak with such intellect. Thank you for your encouraging words. I like how you talked about hoping to graduate. I also wanted to say thank you for the revival we had in Ontario this summer. It really helped me to truly give my life to God and put him first for once in my life. I know he has great things in store for each one of us. Bro. Rivers I have faith that God is going to continue to bless you and guide you. Once again thank you for all you words. And know that you will always have someone praying for you in southern California :) God Bless You
Sister Ruthie :)

Kendra Thaler said...

Well put Bro Rivers! I thought, man he hasn't posted since April, I'm sure there's nothing new here and look at that! A new post! And a right now Word for God. I can get a sermon from my computer screen lol

Thank God for faith! I pray God takes me from faith to faith. I have gone from hope to belief and now I just KNOW! Whatever God says is DONE! The Word of God is true and NEVER returns back to us void! Thank you Lord!! I don't want to be like the generation of the children of Israel who died off before seeing the promises of God come to pass. I WILL see revival! I WILL see prophesy fulfilled! God bless you!